US History Syllabus
Valiant College Prep
Ms. Watters 2022-2023
US History is a course that covers topics in United States History beginning with Pre- Columbian peoples in the Americas and ending in the second semester with present day current events in our country and the United States’ current role in world affairs. Over the next two semesters students will critically look at and analyze significant events in US History; political, social, diplomatic, economic, etc.
Students will be assigned textbook readings, along with research assignments, primary and secondary readings given throughout the course. This course is designed to enhance the historical knowledge and skill of research and historical thinking, and, therefore, there will be a lot of reading, writing, and research involved.
Students will be graded on the VCP standard grading scale
Grades will be based on a variety of assessments such as classwork, homework, quizzes, essays, unit exams, projects, a midterm exam and a final exam. Unit Exams will consist of multiple-choice questions along with short essay-answered questions
Cheating or plagiarism will not be tolerated and will result in a 0 and call/email to parents. The late work policy is as follows:
- 1 Day late 20% off
- 2 Days late 50% off
- 3 Days late 0
- This policy extends to Fridays and weekends. If an assignment is due on Thursday a student can turn it in during Friday tutoring for 20% off or email it on Friday or Saturday for the appropriate deduction. Monday will be considered 3 days late.
Students who are absent are responsible for collecting the work they missed. They will have the same amount of time given initially to complete the assignment. For example, if a student misses school on Tuesday and an assignment is given on Wednesday and they return on Wednesday they will have until Thursday to turn it in.
All Essays and papers must be typed. If they are not printed or received electronically by the beginning of the class it is due it will be considered a late grade.
Daily Materials Needed:
- Notebook/binder with lined paper
- Writing utensil
- Assignments being turned in must be done in pen (erasable pen is ok) notes and non-turned-in work can be done in pencil if preferred
- Folder or pocket for binder for History ONLY
- Access to Edmodo Classroom
- Student planners are suggested but not required
- NO cellphones or smart watches will be allowed in class
If you do not have paper or a writing utensil ready for class it will be considered a deduction from participation. Please make sure you have your materials with you and ready for every class.
I look forward to sharing my knowledge of US History with you this year!